1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thumbs Down (OnForums)

Discussion in 'Forum Stuff' started by Sniffer, May 19, 2017.

1. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

With recent S##tPosts becoming more popular, I recommend a thumbs down rating. Enough thumbs down and your booted for the day.

Im starting to get annoyed with these childish posts about "SATIRE" and how SEMC is greedy. Why cant we just all act respectively towards one another and have constructive debates?
    http://forums.vainglorygame.com/index.php?threads/129831/#post-1290518 <------Read This!!!

-OneEyeOpen
  2. Rikikoo

Rikikoo Technologist

R E P O R T
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

Yep thats a thing...still not a thumbs down!
  4. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

I agree, I like the downvote feature on Reddit. It keeps the annoying trolls away.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. usps

usps Technologist

this thread is about vainglory i guess
  6. Rikikoo

Rikikoo Technologist

Please don't turn this place into reddit
    Anyway we're safe with the xenforo architecture
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tamaticon

Tamaticon Mageborn

why though? you can ignore regular shitposters (there is only a handfull of them after all) and you can simply decide not to read or engage in those posts. if they dont get the attention they crave, they stop with them. just like many stopped bothering with writing stuff in the suggestions subforum...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

I agree...the easiest way to avoid s##tposts is to ignore it!! Just like the safest way to play golf...don't golf, Safest form of sex...abstenance, easiest way to read a book...don't read!
    Do you get my point? There have been many long posts that have said interesting/debatable topics then at the end..."it's SATIRE". You think your reading something interesting then it's just s##t!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tamaticon

Tamaticon Mageborn

no, i dont get your point.
    there is none. your analogies dont make sense at all.
    one way to avoid bad books: dont pick up books written by well known idiots.

aside from that, troll post and shitposts are usually put into the right part of the forum by the mods anyway.
  10. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

Well, with all do respect, I'm not sure how the analogies don't make sense...they are pretty much self explanatory.
    And the point to my analogies was that your fix to shitposts Is to ignore it...just like the analogies are to ignore the activity.

You have to agree that there are posts that have a topic your fond of only to be ruined by the OP's "I'm just kidding, I don't really care" ending to their post. Or the disrespect for the game itself by calling the company "greedy" for having to actually work hard for the unlockables...instead they have that "gimmegimme" attitude like a child (greed/VG dying posts with no true backbone).

And I like to read most of the posts...to give the OP's a benefit of the doubt. And if it's a s##t post then I would downvote that post...get the trolls and salt out of the forums and reflect that attitude to in game play.
  11. Tamaticon

Tamaticon Mageborn

in the context of what you want to say, they are not working as analogies. and they are not working at all aside from that, because not reading is not the easiest way to read. that is simply wrong. aside from that, i told you to ignore a part of the forum, mainly posts that are made by known shitposters or clearly visible as shitpost not to stop going to the forum or read any posts alltogether.
    putting that aside, as its not important here, i still disagree with you.

if there is a post that doesnt belong to where it is or is straight up trolling, you can report it. then it actiually gets reviewed by a human. the mods can change the title, or put the post where it belongs. no problems with someone abusing downvotes, not limited by the tech of this forum (they simply cant add that here. the devs didnt program the forum, they bought that from xenforo) and actually working.
  12. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Why? Redditors have zero tolerance for bullcrap. If your post doesn't deserve attention, then it won't get any. I really like that and would hope the forums adapt something like that. It'd kill off all the annoying forumers
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rikikoo

Rikikoo Technologist

Yeah, and if you happen to disagree with the general opinion expect your post to be downvoted no matter how much attention you pay to your wording.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

I do agree, VG redditors don't know how to use the downvote properly at times, but the forums could do downvoting better. Make it like how downvoting in the game is. The more you downvote the less it weighs. Also make it so that a downvote to hell post can be redeemed if enough people report it as unjustly downvoted.
  15. Aesthete18

Aesthete18 Mageborn

There are a lot of points that people make here that don't get popular rating, even those that support semc, that I'd like to read. In Reddit, this comments will be buried because of saltiness. There was a thread yesterday that reference a song from my childhood and folks were continuing the lyrics in the comments. I continued with the lyrics and got the only downvoted comment in the thread. There was no logical sense for my comment to be down voted because there's no content for it to be down voted. My best guess would be those folks didn't my like what I was saying in other threads (getting up votes) and decided to down vote my other comments. That's the kind of shit that happens in Reddit. The shitposting is well managed in the forums by the mods and the latest content feature helps focus on hot threads anyway. Don't make this place into Reddit.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

I was thinking of making the thumbs down like a dunce hat. A form of public "humiliation" (maybe humilitation is too harsh) this way they would think a little more about what they post!
  17. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

I'm not a "reddit" person but I do agree with you. There will be downvotes for absolutely no reason. And I guess I don't see how shitposts get managed because it's in the unseen part of the forums only the mods control. But the shitposters still just keep going and going with no end in site. Like my comments above, you start to read a great topic post and at the end it's just blackballed by satire. This is why I came up with the downvotes.
  18. Aesthete18

Aesthete18 Mageborn

Do you mean threads itself are shitposting or individual comments within a thread? I don't know how much good reporting will do for folks derailing and such, seems like it would be a hassle for the mods.
  19. Sniffer

Sniffer Stormguard

Both. If i responded "GitGud" to a post you made, it should be downvoted. If i create a shitpost just saying "HI", Downvoted.
    If the Mods get reports on these like they are supposed to, then they're already hassled. If there is a rule of so many downvotes in a day, then it should automatically boot that person for the day. Multiple infractions would increase the boot time. Should make it easier for the mods.
    We need to set an example to these forumers who are constantly disrespectful. An example of a NO-Troll NO-Salt forum that would hopefully reflect to in game play. Because we all hate in-game trolls.
  20. Aesthete18

Aesthete18 Mageborn

Idk I wouldn't trust VG community to use it the right way, not even the forums. VG folks have a way of making everything cancer. Plus, I don't think xenforo really has those features. The best compromise I can think of is maybe stricter policies on one word stuff like you say but idk man, I think stuff like gitgud are supposed to be acceptable responses for this generation. I'd prefer if they don't exist.
    • Agree Agree x 1