1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abuse of moderator power

Discussion in 'Forum Stuff' started by justmikewilldo, Jul 7, 2017.

1. justmikewilldo

justmikewilldo Mageborn

I created a very stupid thread in OT asking to trade insults with whoever was interesting in that kind of ridiculous behavior. I have since deleted the content of "my" posts and comments there due to the below info.

A moderator saw fit to change the actual content of nearly every post there, to fit their personal ideals of what the forums should be. Both mine, and those responding in the thread.

Look it was a dumb thread and I'm sure it violated a handful of forums rules. If a moderator wanted to enforce those rules, then fine, edit the speech for unacceptable laungauge, or just lock the thread.

However, changing the content of entire conversations, so that you are effectively talking to yourself, in a moderated farce, is not only a huge overreach of moderator power, it's messed up. It doesn't matter how dumb my thread was, or how funny you thought your changes were. You MODERATE my threads, you don't own them.

Next time do your job and lock my thread. If the overreaching mod wants to message me directly I'm here, if they want to publicly debate it, I'm here, if you don't want to talk to me about it I'm here. If you want to ban me, I suppose I won't be here. Even in off topic, in a absurdly dumb thread, your job remains the same and abusing your power is unacceptable.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HipsterSkaarf

HipsterSkaarf Community Moderator

rip - that was me.

You said the thread was a joke, and I could see where it was, but there were quite a few posts from people who seemed confused about that. Sarcasm doesn't play too well on the internet. Further, what's fine in one thread of irreverent posts gets imitated in another, more serious, thread and completely derails it, and it's very hard to know what people are intending with what they say. So it was ambiguous, and had to be moderated according to the rules, and if I were to edit the violations in that thread, you wouldn't have been left with much of anything. So, because I thought you ultimately wanted a ridiculous thread, I made it more ridiculous. But, noted.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Awesome Awesome x 1
  3. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

I thought it was fine because first, I'm sure Mike himself knows he's a well liked forumer, and secondly, he was bringing it upon himself. Not like he was saying "roast the person above you" or something.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. justmikewilldo

justmikewilldo Mageborn

I didn't think it was you as you always sign everything by name.

If I had known I wouldn't have posted this, but rather message you directly.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. justmikewilldo

justmikewilldo Mageborn

Also, feel free to lock this and the other thread down if you deem fit. I won't look upon it negatively.
  6. Teajcof

Teajcof Stormguard

... ah I don't think this thread breaks any forum rules... and you know since these moderators seem pretty laid back (they don't rule with an iron fist) I think this thread is a good example of how to reach out to the mods if you are wondering about a moderating decision or whatnot... even if you think this thread is useless there is probably not much point in closing it...
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

I think the best way to reach out to a mod, if you know who it is you're trying to reach, is to PM them.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Teajcof

Teajcof Stormguard

Well yeah... maybe I should change the wording to "the mods" because I was meaning if you don't know which one you were trying to reach...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DarkSoul24

DarkSoul24 Technologist

I feel like OT shouldnt be moderated at all, only in cases of insulting etc, but in the end of the day it still OT, why care about moderating it when the main focus of the forum is VG?, i remember that before in 2016 OT didnt had any moderation at all, and everything was fine, what i want to point out is that you guys could simply forget about Off-Topic and moderate just in cases of reports. And even if the mike thread was sarcasm etc, it was the whole point and if it breaks the rules or not it doesnt matter because its just a game and everyone assumed that. Just let OT be OT, let people do whatever they want since this isnt the main focus of the forum and rather something extra for forumers to talk about anything but VG, i really feel like it shouldnt be moderated much, only for certain cases.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bulletz4Breakfast

Bulletz4Breakfast Carnie

PM~~Post Mortem??
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wolffortress0001

Wolffortress0001 Undead

Its all @Chriszle fault that OT nows get moderated :/
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. DarkSoul24

DarkSoul24 Technologist

Private message...
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Chriszle

Chriszle Community Moderator

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. pile of ash

pile of ash Stormguard

God, it's must be great to be a moderator
    So much power, so wow
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. DarkSoul24

DarkSoul24 Technologist

16. Aesthete18

Aesthete18 Undead

It beats having a dev personally attack you, ban you then edit his attacks out, I tell ya.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Chriszle

Chriszle Community Moderator

The jk <3
  18. Jeremydreamer17

Jeremydreamer17 Community Moderator

[​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  19. pile of ash

pile of ash Stormguard

Normally i have the counter gifs for every situation.
    Here you go
    ~oh no you don't *edited by @Jeremydreamer17
    • Funny Funny x 5
  20. KidSafeShark

KidSafeShark Technologist

16. The Moderating, Development, Support and other teams reserves the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post at any time. The determination of what is seen as indecent, spam, vulgar, etc. is up to Team Members and not users.
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1