1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Vainglory Forums are Closing READ MORE 

Addressing Recent Fears

Discussion in 'Archived Announcements' started by wolf_hands, Aug 24, 2017.

1. wolf_hands

wolf_hands Vainglory Developer Super Evil Megacorp

Hey all! This is wolf_hands, your English Community Manager. Over the past 24 hours I & the rest of the team have been thoroughly reading your thoughts, concerns, fears, feedback, gifs, you name it, we're listening. So let's dig into this.

Fears:
    "Vainglory is losing it's uniqueness! I don't want to play a PC moba! (ノ°Д°)ノ︵ | "

Before jumping to conclusions, the Samsung DeX is not a PC port. It's a proprietary software that gives Samsung Galaxy Note 8, S8, & S8+ device owners the ability to plug in Samsung-only peripherials. In the context of Vainglory, this means a monitor, mouse + keyboard (which I'll abbraviate as M+K from this point on). With the DeX software, previously mentioned device owners can utilize keymapping, but otherwise no other M+K optimizations. It's also worth mentioning two more things: Android emulators have been around for years that have similar functionality & players that wish to take advantage of Samsung DeX will need to purchase an above device + Samsung-brand-only peripherials.

"M+K support will ruin competitive play! And why is development time even being spent on this..."
    Our backend can detect the difference in control options. M+K support will be disabled, as it always has been, for competitive play. Many internally are old-school PC gamers & a few PC moba pros & our view on M+K is that it actually is not an advantage. We will, of course, continue to monitor as we always have.

As for development time being spent on this, we have actually had this funcationality in internal playtests for years.

"The meta (specifically jungle gameplay) has become stale. Fix plox."
    We hear you loud & clear on this! Just as with every part of Vainglory, when you, the players, speak out about something we immediately start discussing & working on potential solutions. We feel the current meta's "staleness" stems from some fundamental issues with our gameplay & so we've been working hard to create a better experience for all skill tiers of players. We hope you'll continue to give feedback when these changes are implemented.

"There're more & more competitors in the mobile moba space each day, so why aren't there still any ads SEMC?!"
    We are advertising! You, as a player of Vainglory, are not our target audience for our ads though. People that are gamers, but do not play Vainglory already, are our target audience for ads. While this is a massive oversimplification, I hope it better illustrates why the community as a whole may not be seeing ads. We also want to make sure our ads are effective & a good use of the support our amazing playerbase shows us. TV ads on a QVC network may not yield the best bang-for-the-buck compared to ads on Twitch, etc.
    More competition is exciting for us! It means we have stiff competition to kick it into overdrive for our players. We believe players of all kinds are potentially new players that will stick around, even if they start off playing another mobile moba. Just as many of you have said, we also believe that Vainglory is the flame that will outlast the winter to come.

"SEMC doesn't listen to us, the community, anymore .-. "
    Hopefully this post changes your mind. I can personally attest that I spend several hours a day, 7 days a week reading feedback from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit & our forums, discord, personal PMs, the list goes on & on. But if it doesn't, I hope that past experience, some of our upcoming updates & the fact that we shifted into 5v5 development based on an overwhelmingly positive global response from the community will.

Okay, so those were some fears, but there's still the question that everyone's favorite 3-year old neice/nephew loves to ask: Why?
    Partnering with Samsung is a huge opportunity for us at SEMC, for Vainglory & for you, our community. Samsung & the Samsung DeX also allows us to show off our amazing E.V.I.L. game engine alongside Samsung's latest tech. Not to mention getting Vainglory in front of such a massive audience as the Samsung keynote at Gamescom 2017 is not trivial exposure. We at SEMC have always been about pushing the boundaries of mobile gaming & gaming in general, & this partnership allows us to continue that goal. The DeX is an entirely new concept. We are thrilled to have the engine tech that enables us to support it. When a new exciting tech comes along we always aim to be among the first to explore it. We've done this in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

Did I miss a major concern that you've seen brought up numerous times? Please share it!
    • Like Like x 36
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Tamaticon

Tamaticon Mageborn

nice answer and it is really nice to see that on the forum and not only on reddit :p
    btw, tell ciderhelm to put at least his feedback link for talents on the forum as well. wouldnt cost him too much time and we would love it.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. DIMTI

DIMTI Stormguard

Awesome, it's always nice to see that you guys over at SEMC are still actively listening to the community! I honestly didn't expect a response to the community's worries about the M&K controls so soon! The work on advertising is really great to see as well, considering it's been a controversial subject for quite some time now.
  4. OneEyeOpen

OneEyeOpen Technologist

Our concerns with SEMC communicating with the community wasn't just about the Devs looking at social networking or Reddit. As the forums being your "home base" we were concerned why the forums have become lower priority compared to Reddit. I'm not trying to say that a majority of Devs do not take time out of their day to read up on the forums (I understand they do most social networking on their own time. Time is valuable, especially someone who is rich in family), but I see more Devs taking a liking to reddit then forums. I am curious why that is. No disrespect towards SEMC, I wish you guys good blessings and thank you for making a terrific game! Cheers!
    • Agree Agree x 5
  5. VainMaster017

VainMaster017 Gythian

Concern that kinda overlaps with "vg losing uniqueness"

We don't want the 5 v 5 meta to dictate changes for heros resulting in different 3 v 3 situations. We want 5 v 5 and 3 v 3 to be separate entities with different metas, rules, gameplay experience. VG can pull off being a multiple-trick pony, and we won't want to see that go away.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Screenshot_2017-08-24-16-47-50-1.png Screenshot_2017-08-24-16-50-44-1.png Screenshot_2017-08-17-22-56-20-1.png
    Two devs agreed with this post. Must be true.
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wolf_hands

No disrespect taken :) I'd say it's sort of a cultural thing. In the US, specifically, twitter & reddit are the main platforms for those that are in the tech industry.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. wolf_hands

This is a great point! If we weren't clear in the Ciderhelm interview, we want the same. Where both 3v3 and 5v5 have a unique feeling from each other, and other mobas & are putting a lot of energy into hero balancing.
  9. Aesthete18

Aesthete18 Undead

How about addressing a concern that isn't a day old like the new glory boxes ya'll stealth added?
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. DarkHydra2002

DarkHydra2002 Stormguard

Will fountain and other team wide items be changed in some way to compensate for the team wide buff?
  11. PinkiePie

PinkiePie Vainglorian

Although I like all the new and innovative ways you are going about Vainglory, can we take some time to consider the confusing and complex systems that have already been implemented from before? For one thing, why do we need so many monetary systems that all seem way too intermingled? You use ICE or glory to buy heroes, to get skins you need cards, which turn into essence to be crafted into other cards, except for certain cards which require opals, and some skins require a multitude of cards whereas the other ones simply need a plethora of the same card, never mind the fact that it takes ages to collect the correct card, otherwise we're stuck with grinding cards excessively for the correct ones. As a MOBA perfected for touch, I appreciate all that has been done to keep this game fast-paced and intense as it was made for, but then the player system seems to fall off where the gameplay did so well. It was all fine when it started out, but with each new tweak to the system and not just a simple overhaul, I feel like this system has become confusing and riddled with problems.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. VideoVillain

VideoVillain Undead

Haha, I agreed with this simply because it says that it keeps bad posts at the bottom and good posts at the top. That is mostly true and I appreciate that part of Reddit :D

I also said this in case you missed it:

This is actually something great to address. There are many reasons some devs are active on reddit but not the forums. I will discuss one of them now. I would argue that this reason is probably the biggest reason and has nothing to do with which place is more toxic/helpful/important or not; but rather, where they are already spending their free time.

If you're like many people on the intarwebs, you probably already spend a great deal of your time on specific sites that you've already chosen (consciously or not) as your "space to waste time on the intarwebs). For many, a huge chunk of that time is spent on sites like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. For others its sites like 4chan or reddit. And then there are people who enjoy Forums still; and lets not kid ourselves, whether we want to believe it or not, it is a dying breed. As the face of the internet changes, so to do the ways we interact with it.

But let me be clear about something. The time most devs spend on the internet is almost always their free time and they are, as indicated by the wording, 'free' to do with it as they please. The fact that so many devs actually DO spend time engaging anywhere is already a huge testament to their passion for what they create. If you have free time and are already a heavy reddit user, are you going to rip yourself away from reddit (already hard to do) to go engage somewhere else? Probably not.

Don't forget that besides the Regional Community Managers, @mejlis, and myself, the other developers are not actually being paid to interact with any of you, they are being paid to develop the game and engage, at their own behest, whenever and wherever they feel like it. It is my job to make sure that what you all say and discuss is reviewed, responded to, organized, and made into something the team can take action on. And I do that in multiple locations, not just here on the forums.​
    • Awesome Awesome x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. VideoVillain

VideoVillain Undead

That was a necessary change. I'm sure you all know how often the boxes just weren't even there or had other issues. They were manually done and it was time consuming and archaic. The new, random version is there so people can continue getting cards, but is made random so that we no longer need someone to waste their time updating and pushing new card boxes live. That is one reason at least, and a good one IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. pilebuster

pilebuster Technologist

I noticed you did this
    IMG_2397.PNG
    I thought this was some kind of cross stream marketing with Samsung
  15. Saint7502

Saint7502 Undead

I agree with this but I find the new boxes to be less rewarding and with SEMC constantly making things harder to achieve (skins, not necessarily bad because it is main soucre of income) or less rewards ( sunlight system and daily boxes) it does come off as cheap. I'm find with that but when SEMC initially starts off as so giving then make a U-turn it's unsetteling.

@wolf_hands thank you for the response. Please talk to us more I promise to be nicer. I'm too lazy to go on reddit.
  16. 937492937

937492937 Carnie

As it should be. It makes it hard to trust them, and even harder to give them your money.
  17. Cloudex

Cloudex Stormguard

Then again, some of these questions have been asked over and over again, even after answers have been screamed into our ears. I really appreciate the devs being so patient with the fan base. Please keep up what you have been doing for the past few years, for that has undoubtedly bore great results, for both gamers and the game.
  18. Aesthete18

Aesthete18 Undead

It must be coincidence then that crafting skins just became 100x harder.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Airalin

Airalin Stormguard

You are missing some zeroes.
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. screepy

screepy Gythian

Semc is the best.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1