1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Churnwalker language decoding thread

Discussion in 'Fan Creations and Vainglory Lore' started by IratePirate, Sep 27, 2017.

1. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

I am so interested in the language that @SugarVenom came up with for Churnwalker. It just sounds so cool. Maybe you guys can help me decode what he's saying?

The first instance we hear Martim say something in this Churn language is in the reveal trailer. There are no subtitles for this trailer so I just made my best assumption at the spelling based on how everything else has been spelled:

"Idu drovis ikre skeiv kekragas"

This spelling is just a stab in the dark, if any of y'all have better ears than me and can offer a suggestion to what he maybe said, I'll change it. Judging that this was his introduction, I'm assuming he's staying who he is.
    Now I know not all languages are the same in conjugation terms, so he might be saying his name anywhere in this sentence. Another thing is, in this language, maybe there are no names but only descriptions of what they are. Martim could very well just be saying, "I am the one consumed by the Churn".

Next instance and every instance following are all written out for us in their respective videos so we can just speculate on them.

"Ebbet ikro ido?"

Now this should be easy. Martim answered this question with his name, so it's clearly stating "What['s] your name?". Again, this may not be the correct order. He could very well be saying "your name what is?" or "name of you is what?". But we do know for a fact it was asking for his name since Martim knew to respond with it. The next couple are a bit harder to decode.

"Ikro vli ve shavod"

Because Martim was being pulled out of the Churn and the video and lore states that "it insisted", I'm going to assume the Churn was telling Martim to stay or not to leave. I like to think it translates directly to "you must stay here". Now for Martim's response:

"Oeda vli stishad!"

For this, I'm going to assume "vli" means both "I" and "you". I came up with this because I've noticed from both the heroes that have experience with the Churn (Idris and now Churnwalker) they usually refer to the Churn as themselves as if the Churn doesn't allow individuality. In one of Idris's voice lines, he says "The Churn and I are one". Then in the last Churnwalker video, he says "I am the Churn, and the Churn is mine". For this line, I assume Martim's response is "I shall return!" Or "return I shall!". This is my assumption because as we say in the last video, Martim is corrupted by the Churn and wants to be consumed by it.

Now for the hardest one:

"Ikri idat, e voda vl'ebbut."

Now the thing that stands out to me is not that the word "ikri/ikro" is used here again, or the apostrophe in the word "vl'ebbut", but it's the comma in the middle of the sentence. This comma denotes a pause and lets us know that this thing has a direct line of consciousness and isn't just putting random words together.

I found this on a website explaining French contractions better than I can and why I think the "vl" from "vl'ebbut" is just a shortened version of "vli" meaning ”I" or "you".

That's all I got so far guys. I'm stuck on the last one. There is a thought that maybe "ikri/ikro/ikre" is actually "I/you", but I'll let y'all talk about that.

Edit: Excoundrel has made a video on the topic, y'all should watch it if you're interested!

Edit 10/03/2017: We got more text!

"...ide ikre kiovebraka"

Judging from context, I'm going to assume he's saying "I am something worse". The only new word here being "kiovebraka" I feel like it may be a noun although not a proper noun as it isn't capitalized in the text.

"...ikri v'ahskad f'ave"

I can say with almost 100% certainty say that he's saying "it's a monster they'll get". This pretty much confirms that "ikri" means "it/it is". I have also come to the conclusion that words with the prefix "ikr" are pronouns and words with the prefix "id" are verbs.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Captainpewd

Captainpewd Grangor

From my friend TurtleShot on Discord:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Dang, one thing I didn't think to do was run it through a translator. When Sugarvenom said it's a language exclusive to Vainglory, I figured she invented a whole language. I ran "Ikri idat, e voda vl'ebbut." Through and it translates from Bulgarian into "Whites are coming, it's water."
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Okay guys, so our lovely lore writer has seen this thread but can't seem to get on the forums today. She said
    This is from Reddit. Excoundrel will also be making a video on the topic soon! Be sure to subscribe to him if you're interested in learning more! https://www.youtube.com/user/Excoundrel
    • Like Like x 1
  5. A4E

A4E Meekos

Damm, you lurk here?
  6. Captainpewd

Captainpewd Grangor

Hm, interesting, considering that one line ran through the translator sounds rather fitting. The "Whites are coming, it's water" is way off though
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Where did your friend get that line he ran through the translator? The only similar word there is "ikri". I don't know where he got the rest of that stuff from.

Edit: nevermind, I reread the lore. I had only read it once before.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. Ve3nNo0wM

Ve3nNo0wM River Troll

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jiinko

Jiinko Stormguard

I'm also very interested. Gonna try my best to help here. I'm doing my researches. :)

I wonder if this langage is the one written all over the Halcyon Fold. But even if it was the case we don't have any way (yet) to know which glyph means what word. But Sugar Venom said that we'll know more about that sooner or later.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TwipVG

TwipVG Grangor

IMG_20170928_212825.jpg
    He want a drumstick
    • Funny Funny x 6
  11. Captainpewd

Captainpewd Grangor

Okay, I've got more from TurtleShot. he can see the thread, but can't get his forum account verified for whatever reason, so I'm posting up all this info for him.
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 9.12.37 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 9.12.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 9.13.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 9.13.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 9.13.48 AM.png
    • Like Like x 1
  12. doer

doer Vainglory Developer Super Evil Megacorp

Yeah, she put tons of work into actually crafting something from the bottom up. Google translate's gonna have nothin'
    • Like Like x 4
    • Awesome Awesome x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Ayy :D I was right on one of them.

Awesome man, thanks for your help.

Of course there may be some similarities of words judging that there are so many languages in the world. Let's look at Klingon a made up language in the Star Trek universe. I guarantee if you ran some of the phonetic spellings through an auto detect translator, it's going to pick up some words and try it's best to translate it.

I don't doubt that maybe some words are from some languages, but I'm going to go ahead and take SugarVenom's word here. She has no reason to lie. It'd also be a bit mean to demean someone's work if they spent so long crafting it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Awesome Awesome x 1
  14. Captainpewd

Captainpewd Grangor

It does seem to line up though, so at least some of it is being translated semi-accurately. Besides, if there wasn't something like this to compare it to, we'd be here forever, as translating a language without a basis for it is near impossible. So, at least we have these hints in Latvian and Russian, as well as the lead-in context clues from the archive videos to piece it together.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

Just want to share what a user on Reddit came up with
    User wasaduck
    Notice how a lot of words start with "id". Idris's name could very much be a part of the churn language and could literally mean "kill".
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Teajcof

Teajcof Stormguard

Can't wait until more is released!... it would be really cool to see if someone manages to figure some more out... I wonder how difficult she made it... if it has new grammar rules and everything!
  17. Abhijeet kumar

Abhijeet kumar Grangor

Then good luck decoding it bcz then it can be anything
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead

19. HipsterSkaarf

HipsterSkaarf Community Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  20. IratePirate

IratePirate Undead