1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Vainglory Forums are Closing READ MORE 

No hero will be "good" on Sovereign's Rise

Discussion in 'General' started by Colton, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Colton

Colton Technologist

One common sentiment I see a lot around the community, is asking if _____ hero will be good on Sovereign's Rise . But let me ask you this: What heroes are "good" on the Halcyon Fold? Besides a couple heroes that are pretty much usable all the time such as Vox, Ardan, Blackfeather, most heroes go in and out of the meta on a pretty much update to update basis.

One way this statement makes sense, is when 5v5 first releases I expect some heroes to be extremely strong until SEMC gets a good handle on how balance in 5v5 works. So at first some heroes will be much better in 5v5 that they were in 3v3.

Another context I like this discussion is for inherently unbalanced heroes this simply don't work well right now. Namely Flicker, but in less extreme cases mages as a whole, and some of the very first VG heroes such as Joule that never really stick in the meta for more than one update. But most people seem to thinking of this in an entirely different way. Lets say at first Flicker is OPOP and has a 99.9% win rate across all regions. SEMC will probably hotfix him down to somewhat balanced, and come next update he will probably be nurfed to where he should be.

As always thanks for reading. I was going to write something about the 5v5 meta but @idmonfish beat me to it and did a much better job that i could have :)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. AAgha

AAgha Elder

I don't get the point of the post?
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. MagneticStorm

MagneticStorm Elder

If his post seems logical to you , good. But i saw. A LOT of people that made these kind of assumptions about viability of heroes on 5v5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Desperation¤

Desperation¤ Stormguard

Can't wait to see their assumptions being crushed down.

Never understood why they always make a fuss out of something they can't really predict with certainty
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. slashingwinds

slashingwinds Mageborn

I can’t wait for them to nerf Flicker down to trash tier within three months :^ )
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Vincitoria

Vincitoria Vainglorian

So they'll leave him alone?
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. CPKestrelOTP

CPKestrelOTP Elder

Any high skill ceiling hero that can be versatile will be good.

Kestrel, Bf, Ringo, Saw, Taka and Celeste come to mind.

Others, such as Vox, GrumpJaw, Glaive and Baptiste will see their fair share.

Any roam can work really.

And anything else is meta, counter to the meta or a solid pick into meta hero while being safe. Not all counters are safe in draft unless last pick. Petal being a good example.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. RoyalSerperior

RoyalSerperior Mageborn

lol no everyone knows fort op
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. DarkHydra2002

DarkHydra2002 Stormguard

when vinci is in a bad mood XD
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. screepy

screepy Gythian

I hate those threads about how the meta will be or which heroes will be op in 5v5. You guys never played 5v5 and it‘s still in the beta but you guys already make guesses and predictions out of nowhere.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. justmikewilldo

justmikewilldo Mageborn

totally contradict yourself here:

"when 5v5 first releases I expect some heroes to be extremely strong until SEMC gets a good handle on how balance in 5v5 works. So at first some heroes will be much better in 5v5 that they were in 3v3."

Even prefacing it that "one way this statement makes sense" is so weird. It's like you said "here is the opposite and true position to the title of my thread"

Then there's this:
    How exactly does this illustrate your point? Again total contradiction, because as you point out, there ARE good heroes on the Halycon Fold...

It seems weird that on a Forums for VG, that those asking and speculating what the Meta will be for the immensely anticipated 5v5 mode in VG, you think they shouldn't be doing that? Or that somehow means (even when you've proven yourself wrong) that there won't be some heroes "good" on the new map. Just a weird thread
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. willplash

willplash Elder

By what i watched in 5v5 Alpha videos, 5v5 meta ill be probably like idmonfish said on his brokenmyth article. Also, hypercarry builds are common, because you can rely on positioning as ur unique defense.

Cant wait to make top lane CP Taka a thing.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Ayoki

Ayoki Technologist

Put him in jungle, win games. Thats if he doesnt get banned
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. idmonfish

idmonfish Community Moderator

I took his point to be that talking about which heroes will be “good” is beside the point because “good” is code for too strong, not just playable and the balance team does a fairly good job of making sure that most heroes are playable rather than “good”.

So if heroes are unbalanced and the community finds them - then they will get adjusted back down to playable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Colton

Colton Technologist

The entire point of the post is saying the 5v5 meta will change just like the 3v3. And no hero will just be “good” on the map in the long run.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. justmikewilldo

justmikewilldo Mageborn

"Besides a couple heroes that are pretty much usable all the time"

You sure do like contradicting yourself in this thread.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. LegalPlayer

LegalPlayer Carnie

Have you tried the 5v5 yet? If not then you should try playing it first before creating this thread. I mean whats the point in making this thread when you dont even know what's changed on the hero or what hero will be no good. :oldskoolAgree
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. LegalPlayer

LegalPlayer Carnie

Thats why their reworking heroes. Im sure theyre going to show us all changes, prior to the update.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. Colton

Colton Technologist

Because i know the meta will change and heroes will go in and out of viability. That’s all I’m saying.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Colton

Colton Technologist

Im sure, that’s not really the topic of this thread.
    • Creative Creative x 1