1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Vainglory Forums are Closing READ MORE 

The Vainglory Forums are closing

Discussion in 'Announcements & Status' started by mejlis, Jan 22, 2018.

1. DIMTI

DIMTI Stormguard

guild chat > discord any day
  2. Airalin

Airalin Stormguard

Oh well.
    Good-bye guys. It was a fun ride overall, if I ever was rude to anyone or triggered them, Iam sorry for that.
    I'll miss all the serious threads, the rants, the shitposts, the amazing art, the fites and a lot of other stuff.
    Lastly, a thank you to everyone who helped me and answered my nub questions, throughout my stay here.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Awesome Awesome x 1
  3. FloDsu

FloDsu Gythian

@mejlis @wolf_hands I respect the hard work of the dev team and the community managers, but, no offence, this f else like a purposefully vage, and therefore very cold and corporate message, not aimed at honest communication, but at minimising any verbal footprint.

Especially: What are the benefits you are referring to? For you and for the community? Simply saying that other platforms are better, doesn’t make it so. How and why are they better?

Your message reads a bit cold. Would love to know: How was this a hard decision?

Thanks and best and thanks for all the hard work over the years
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Setbackss

Setbackss Nightmare Goat

Well, keep us updated pls. Any recommendation on a good archiving tool?
  5. Bayou

Bayou Stormguard

Poor decision! The forums foster a different type of conversation than reddit. There is depth and the ability to make real connections with people. There is so much of the history of the game stored here. Reddit is for memes. Vaingloryfire is lucky to see one post every 2-3 days on their forum. The site is also plagued with pop-ups.

Between the reduction in Community Managers and shuttering of the forum, it loooks like VG is struggling to keep the lights on.
    • Agree Agree x 18
  6. wolf_hands

wolf_hands Vainglory Developer Super Evil Megacorp

• UserRankRibbons
    • by Retarded Tech
    • --------------------
    • Administrator
    • Global Moderator
    • Staff
    • VIP
    • Contributor
    • Donator
    • Banned
    • --------------------
    • Ribbon 15
    Sorry it feels that way. Whenever we communicate with players, we try to be as transparent and clear as possible. Some conclusions we came to: The forums were stagnate. Yes, 5V5 may have given the forums a boost, but it would have been temporary. Other platforms are continuing to grow and from our monitoring, are creating more positive experiences for players. From finding teammates to discussing topics (both positive and negative topics, in terms of Vainglory and SEMC).

Another point to bring up: the forums are not mobile friendly, and we are a mobile game.

The decision was hard because some internally have fond memories of the forums, and are still attached to them. Sometimes the right decision isn't the popular or easy one. The forums were also truly an integral part of the community when Vainglory was born. Closing the forums, just with that fact in mind, makes it extremely difficult.
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. NinjaBryden

NinjaBryden Grangor

LET THE MEMES COMMENCE
  8. wolf_hands

• UserRankRibbons
    • by Retarded Tech
    • --------------------
    • Administrator
    • Global Moderator
    • Staff
    • VIP
    • Contributor
    • Donator
    • Banned
    • --------------------
    • Ribbon 15
    As mentioned on the subreddit, users are what make the platform. If you'd like to see more long-form content elsewhere, share that type of content there!

I'd say there are tons of users on other platforms that'd debate that real connections can only be made on one platform.

There is a lot fo history here on the forums, and we definitely encourage everyone to save every bit of content close to them now while they can.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Methaliana

Methaliana Technologist

While I do agree with most of this post...
    Stagnate. For how long? The last 3 months? The forums, starting from 2014, were seeing amazing threads every 2-3 days. It kept on going this way until mid 2017, where stuff started slowing down. And why is that? Obviously, we had already talked about all that there was to talk about "concerning the game". 3v3 was old, and too many topics had already been discussed. What was left of discussion would obviously have only consisted of 2-3 threads per patch about the new content released, and the rest would be threads complaining about your various marketing stunts, and others about the skin designs.
    Now I'm only pointing this out to say that 3v3 was able to sustain those forums for well over 3 years, so what would have 5v5 been able to do? Not to mention that with the game's probably faster growth in the future, this forum would have even seen more activity due to a larger amount of content being published.
    And that's not counting offtopic. That's my favorite part of the forums, it's not just people discussing exclusively about the game. We might have an alternative in the form of discord, but it doesn't compare.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Kcnkcn

Kcnkcn Technologist

I might’ve missed it, but you’ve said that the reason was that the forums were not growing as other platforms. Why can’t you keep the forums up despite the stagnation? What do you lose from keeping it up? Is the cost to maintain the forums that extensive?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. wolf_hands

• UserRankRibbons
    • by Retarded Tech
    • --------------------
    • Administrator
    • Global Moderator
    • Staff
    • VIP
    • Contributor
    • Donator
    • Banned
    • --------------------
    • Ribbon 15
    Costs didn't play a part at all. Fostering an ever-growing community in a scalable way, in a positive way, were much more influential in our decision.

To break down "costs": Mods spend time moderating, while on other platforms users are a direct aspect of modding (reddit for instance allows up and down voting so users have a hefty say in what is pushed to the top & twitter you can simply not reply to/RT a conversation that isn't worth keeping alive). Other platforms also do not require us to keep servers and other software alive, updated, and maintained. While it may look simple when viewing externally, there are many extensions, plug-ins, etc that make the forums what they are, and many of them are not being updated.

The above "costs" were not considered, as mentioned, because fostering our community is always the deciding factor.

Edit: Added some clarity as my thought wasn't all there.
  12. OCEvan

OCEvan Stormguard

Very sad to hear.

I can’t speak for others, but I preferred the forums over other sites like reddit. It is a shame that I’m pretty much being forced into using the alternatives if I want to continue to talk Vainglory.

Also you guys may have listed a bunch of alternate sites that we can use, but let’s not pretend that Reddit won’t be receiving almost all the traffic now.
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  13. screepy

screepy Gythian

You just want to silence us so you can come up with more bad ideas like the Se scandal. Idk what SEMC has become but i guess you hired the wrong people.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Lun

Lun Stormguard

Two theories about this.

1) The game isn't doing well, and the first step in that case is to close down the forums. Support to other parts of the game process will follow.

2) They want to silence the complaints. Players come to the official forum and see complaints. In some cases it's dumb complaints (like advertising a different mobile moba), in other cases it's valid complaints (like the prices of things, the style).

Either way, it isn't a good sign.

Also, you expect me to follow you on Twitter, Facebook and Reddit? The trifecta of evil?
    • Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. wolf_hands

• UserRankRibbons
    • by Retarded Tech
    • --------------------
    • Administrator
    • Global Moderator
    • Staff
    • VIP
    • Contributor
    • Donator
    • Banned
    • --------------------
    • Ribbon 15
    The forum mods actually mentioned a bit ago that this was the most users they've seen online at one time in a long time.
  16. wolf_hands

• UserRankRibbons
    • by Retarded Tech
    • --------------------
    • Administrator
    • Global Moderator
    • Staff
    • VIP
    • Contributor
    • Donator
    • Banned
    • --------------------
    • Ribbon 15
    There's so many other avenues to use for criticism, and we encourage everyone to continue giving us their opinion, both positive and negative.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. Teajcof

Teajcof Stormguard

Will all of the IP on the forums still belong to SEMC (Like it says in their ToS) after the forums are gone?
  18. Bayou

Bayou Stormguard

I don’t think it’s about silencing people.

The purpose of driving people to Reddit and FB is they have the means to reach non-users of VG. This acts as free marketing. The forums are only going to be used by people who already know about the game. By consolidating, SEMC hopes to increase “marketing” and grow the player base.
  19. Methaliana

Methaliana Technologist

If this turns out to be the case, then that's pretty sad.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. screepy

screepy Gythian

Everyone knows that you can ignore criticism on Facebook or Twitter. On Reddit threads get downvoted but here you can only delete the threads, which would be obvious. The whole company changed: You wanted to created a serious moba for touch but now you go more into the direction of Clash Royale, a game full of IAPs and casuals. Also LoL still has an official forum so why do you say you follow their decision if it‘s not true?
    • Agree Agree x 5