1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Vainglory Forums are Closing READ MORE 

Recording & Streaming Vainglory

Discussion in 'Game Moments' started by Zekent, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Zekent

Zekent Vainglory Developer Super Evil Megacorp

With Vainglory freshly released, we've already seen a few streams pop up and we're excited to see even more streamers showcase their gameplay! Here's a quick guide on how to get your stream set up and ready to go!

A few quick notes before we start:
    • You can use any of these options to locally record your gameplay footage without actually streaming. If you plan on creating Vainglory videos, these are fantastic options for gameplay capture.
    • Turn off notifications on your device (Twitter pop-ups and such may degrade recording/streaming quality).
    Starting Off:
    You have a few options for software: we'll go over each of them so that you can choose one that suits your needs.

Getting Set Up:
    Now that you've chosen your broadcasting software, let's figure out how we're going to do our game capture!
    • Capture Card (Elgato Capture Card recommended):
      • Elgato is supported by both Open Broadcaster Software and XSplit
      • You’ll have a few cords dangling off of your device
    • Lightning Cable
      • This is the easiest and quickest way to get a stream going
      • Requires Quicktime
      • More accessible for a Mac
    • AirPlay:
      • Requires multiple programs running (AirPlay program streams to either Open Broadcaster Software or Xsplit)
      • Requires a Wireless Network
      • More accessible for a Mac
    You've got your broadcasting software and your selection of game capture. Let's finish it all off by setting up your stream!
    • Open Broadcaster Software (OBS):
      • Input your stream settings under "Settings" -> "Stream"
      • Mac
        • A bit limited (Open Broadcaster Software for Mac is not fully developed yet)
        • Requires Soundflower to capture game audio
        • Capture Card
          • Run Elgato's "Game Capture HD" and OBS on separate monitors
            • Stretch "Game Capture HD" to fit your whole monitor
          • Hit the "+" sign under Sources in OBS and select "Display Capture"
            • Select the Display with "Game Capture HD" on it
            • Set Crop to "Manual"
            • Crop the Display until it only shows the game
        • Lightning Cable
          • Run Quicktime
            • Click the arrow next to the "Record" button
            • Select your device for both video and audio
          • Hit the "+" sign under Sources in OBS and select "Display Capture"
            • Select the Display with "Game Capture HD" on it
            • Set Crop to "Manual"
            • Crop the Display until it only shows the game
        • USB Connector
          • Run QuickTime Player
            • "Select File" -> "New Movie Recording"
            • Click the "v" to the right of the red record button and select your device for both the camera and microphone
          • Hit the "+" sign under Sources in OBS and select "Window Capture"
            • Select the Window with "QuickTime Player" on it
        • AirPlay
          • Run X-Mirage and hit AirPlay on your device
            • Select the Window with "X-Mirage"
      • PC
        • Capture Card
          • Select Elgato as a camera for your scene
        • AirPlay
          • Run your AirPlay receiver and hit AirPlay on your device
            • Select the Window with your AirPlay receiver
    • XSplit:
      • Stream settings can be input by selecting "Broadcast" and clicking the right side gear symbol for your Twitch Channel
      • PC
        • Capture Card
          • Select Elgato as a camera for your scene
        • AirPlay
          • Run your AirPlay receiver and hit AirPlay on your device
          • Select your AirPlay receiver as a source for your scene
    • Wirecast:
      • Click on the gear symbol to the right of the "Record" button to input your stream settings
      • Mac / PC
        • Capture Card
          • Run Elgato's "Game Capture HD" and Wirecast on separate monitors
            • Stretch "Game Capture HD" to fit your whole monitor
          • Select the "+" next to any "Blank Shot" and click the bottom left "Monitor" icon and select "New Local Desktop Presenter"
            • Set "Capture Type" to Window
            • Enable "Capture Audio"
            • Click "Select Window/Monitor..."
            • Set the Application to "Game Capture HD"
          • Select the "+" next to any "Blank Shot" and click the bottom left "Monitor" icon and select the source you have just created
          • Click the gear icon in the source you have just created and click on the cropping tool to crop your source to only show the game
        • Lightning Cable
          • Run Quicktime
            • Click the arrow next to the "Record" button
            • Select your device for both video and audio
          • Select the "+" next to any "Blank Shot" and click the bottom left "Monitor" icon and select "New Local Desktop Presenter"
            • Set "Capture Type" to Display
            • Enable "Capture Audio"
            • Select the monitor your Quicktime is on
          • Select the "+" next to any "Blank Shot" and click the bottom left "Monitor" icon and select the source you have just created
          • Click the gear icon in the source you have just created and click on the cropping tool to crop your source to only show the game
        • AirPlay
          • Run X-Mirage and hit AirPlay on your device
          • Enable "Capture Audio"
          • Set "Capture Type" to Window
          • Set the Application to "X-Mirage"
    • Elgato:
      • Input your stream info under "Live Streaming" and you're good to go
    Make It Personal:
    • This is all about what you're brining to the table. Make your stream... YOUR STREAM. Show off what makes your content uniquely yours and add a bit of a personal touch to it! Here are some suggestions:
      • Webcam:
        • It's always fun to see your reactions and having a webcam on you can really show off your personality and what makes you different from other streamers
      • Overlay:
        • Go with a design you like, this is where you can really showcase what you enjoy and having a great looking presentation makes it easy for viewers to watch your stream for long periods of time
      • Music:
        • This is up to you! Listen to your favorites and you may find viewers with similar music tastes dropping by
      • Engage:
        • Chat with your viewers! It'll make it a lot more fun to you and who knows, you could make some great friends this way

That's it for this guide! Get out onto the Halcyon Fold and show us what you're made of! I'll be looking forward to watching your stream pop up soon!

-George "Zekent" Liu
    PS: If you have any questions or concerns, drop a post in here and I'll be sure to get to it!
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 16
    • Like Like x 6
    • Awesome Awesome x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Craft

Craft River Troll

It is very good. In Russia we have a few streamers. Now we will be more)). Thank for information))).
  3. FlyingFox

FlyingFox Stormguard

Those of us watching has no idea how much work is involved! Thanks for sharing!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. MadAdam

MadAdam Carnie

Hopefully I can get a stream setup... >_< so much effort!

P.S. I like watching your stream :)
  5. Zekent

I'm sure you'll get one up in no time! I'm lookin' forward to watching you stream! :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nanobots

nanobots Technologist

Ah! Very nice! I've heard some people upset about the price of buying programs to stream, and it's nice that you included the free options along with the high-powered!
  7. BlueNight

BlueNight Carnie

Hi, guys. How are you doing?

So, I want to know if twitch already have an exclusive app for mobile streams. I saw some informations about streams with this app, but I don't know if it really exist. If someone know something about that, please, tell me! I want to stream too, and this app probably should be something even more easier for users.
  8. jamielee

jamielee River Troll

Id like to make a comment adjustment to the op Under mac os There is one adjustment that needs to be made you will need sound flower or wav tap to capture sound from the desktop as mac os doesn't have any way to grab audio like windows and linux has.... Unless its ktext extension audio grab which obs does not support. So you will need soundflower.

Second Under mac os Obs + quicktime screen grab or movie (you dont need to actually record.) You can choose your idevice and for mic input under quicktime choose your idevice.. it eliminates the need for airserver and gives much better visual quality.)
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Zekent

Oops! Forgot to add those in. Thanks for the heads up! I'll get that fixed in a bit. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dormammu

Dormammu Stormguard

Only thing missing is PC requirements/specs. I can't even use OBS because my PC is so bad, to say the least.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Zekent

Added in!
  12. Zyronl

Zyronl Technologist

Oh nice its @Zekent . I heard your from team curse?? Hope maybe next person from there is piglet. Can't call him SKT T1 Piglet anymore ._.
  13. Dormammu

Dormammu Stormguard

Don't think Piglet will be streaming Vainglory anytime soon, he is grinding LoL in NA server right now.
  14. Zyronl

Zyronl Technologist

Mmh, cool, thanks for telling me that lol, the moment I go back to Singapore is the moment I spam piglet.
  15. Lost_Number_

Lost_Number_ River Troll

Instead of mirroring the Ipad screen with AirPlay it is also possible to do it with the usb connection of the Ipad with a Mac. You just connect your Ipad with the lightning with your mac, open Quick Time, go to new video recording and select your Ipad in the dop-down menu of the record button. The only problem with this is that you have to connect your earphones with the Mac to hear the sound. I haven't tried it for streaming further but it's good for recording or getting it onto a bigger screen.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hoothh

Hoothh Carnie

Or.. Implement Twitch..
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. BlueNight

BlueNight Carnie

This ^
  18. LawAbidingCactus

LawAbidingCactus Gythian

Shou is a possible option, but it hasn't implemented Twitch functionality; it utilizes its own streaming service.
    Here's the download link if you're considering using it: http://www.emu4ios.net
  19. jamielee

jamielee River Troll

Under audio capture from QuickTime hit iPad it also transmits audio through lightning
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BlueNight

BlueNight Carnie

Thank you for your help! XD